Dr Sandy Brownlee
Senior Research Assistant, Computing Science and Mathematics, University of Stirling, 2013-present
Airport operations optimisation, mostly focused on ground movement (taxiing) and uncertainty. Dynamic adaptic software engineering, focused on automatic improvement of parameters and code to improve speed, fix bugs, and decrease power consumption.
Feature based approaches to optimisation.
Research Associate, Civil & Building Engineering, Loughborough University, 2010-2013
Applying multi-objective evolutionary algorithms to optimisation of buildings. Highlight of the project was the granting of a software licence to IES Ltd for integration of our optimisation algorithm into their commerical building simulation suite.
Software Engineer, ODS-Petrodata Ltd, Aberdeen, 2008-2010
Development of a distributed data management system and tools to support market analysts for internal use within the company.
PhD, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, 2005-2009
Explored the role of fitness modelling in estimation of distribution algorithms. Link to Thesis
Academic duties and participation
Conferences attended: IEEE CEC 2005,2008,2009,2010,2014; GECCO 2007,2008,2011,2012,2014,2015,2016; IEEE SSCI 2011; IBPSA BSO 2012; EMO 2013; PATAT 2014, UKCI 2016, PPSN 2016.
Reviewer for several conferences (including IEEE CEC, GECCO, EvoCOP, PPSN, UKCI), and journals including:
- AI Communications
- Annals of OR
- Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing (AI-EDAM)
- Applied Soft Computing
- ASHRAE Journal
- Energy and Buildings
- Engineering Science and Technology: an International Journal (JESTECH)
- Evolutionary Computation
- IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics
- IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computational Intelligence
- IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation
- IET Electronics Letters
- International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making
- International Journal of Refrigeration
- International Journal of Systems Science
- Journal of Building Performance Simulation
- Journal of Heuristics
- Memetic Computing
- Natural Computing
- Soft Computing
(See my Publons
profile for latest reviewing stats)
Also served as a reviewer for the funding body Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO).
Real world transportation workshop, funded by SICSA, 16 January 2015.
- Lead, University of Stirling Dragon's Den / Research Programme Being Together £220k (consisting: £20k equipment fund, PhD match funding, research trips, PI time buy out, etc
- Royal Society of Edinburgh / Scottish Crucible (principal investigator) - Crowd-sourcing the aural identities of places by evolutionary optimisation - joint with Aberdeen and Edinburgh Universities - total value £4308, Jan-Dec 2017
- EPSRC standard grant (researcher-co-investigator) - "TRANSIT: Towards a Robust Airport Decision Support System for Intelligent Taxiing" - joint with Lincoln, Sheffield and Cranfield Universities - total value £1.06M (including in-kind contributions from partners), of which £255k is at Stirling, 2016-2019.
- nVidia hardware grant - "GPU-accelerated feature-based optimisation" - value £1000, Dec 2015
- SICSA funding to host workshop on modelling & optimisation of transportation - £810, Jan 2015
- Microsoft Azure Research Pass - 1 year access to cloud resources - value 40k USD, 2014-2015
- Grants totalling £2810 from BCS, IEEE, ACM and SIET for travel to conferences in 2008
- Carnegie Vacation Scholarship - 8 weeks funded research project, summer 2004, approx. £1000