Welcome to Dr Simon Martin's home page.Before moving into academia I spent a number of years in industry working for research teams in the Defence Evaluation and Research Agency, Nortel Networks and various start-up companies. My work mostly involved researching software agents and various telecoms applications. My current work is on the interface between operational research, artificial intelligence and mathematics. I am interested the interaction in computability and using distributed software agents to solve problems in combinatorial optimisation.
To this end I have built a multi-agent system using JADE. This is a platform which enables users to use state of the art meta-heuristics and local search heuristics to solve different combinational optimisation problems. Currently the platform has been applied to the travelling salesman problem (TSP), the Permutation Flowshop Scheduling Problem (PFSP), the Nurse Rostering Problem (NRP) and the Capacitated Vehicle Routing Problem (CVRP) with promising results.
This platform is free for anyone to use please mail me and I will send you the latest build
Here are some presentations and links publications:
Simon Martin, Djamila Ouelhadj, Patrick Beullens,Ender Ozcan,Angel A. Juan,Edmund.K.Burke. A MULTI-AGENT BASED COOPERATIVE APPROACH TO SCHEDULING AND ROUTING. European Journal of Operational Research. (2006) doi:10.1016/j.ejor.2016.02.045 Available on Science Direct
Shahriar Asta, Simon Martin, Ender Ozcan, Edmund Burke. A Multi-agent System Embedding Online Tensor Learning for flow shop Scheduling. 2016. PDFJerry Swan, Patrick De Causmaecker, Simon Martin, Ender Ozcan. A re-characterization of hyper-heuristics in Recent developments of metaheuristics. Ed's L. Amodeo, E-G. Talbi, F. Yalaoui. Springer to appear.
Simon Martin, Djamila Ouelhadj, Pieter Smet, Greet Vanden Berghe, and Ender Ozcan. Cooperative search for fair nurse rosters. Expert Systems with Applications, 40(16):6674-6683, 2013. Science Direct
Recent conference papers
1. A Research Agenda for Metaheuristic Standardization,Swan, Jerry and Adriaensen, Steven and Bishr, Mohamed and Burke, Edmund K and Clark, John A and De Causmaecker, Patrick and Durillo, Juanjo and Hammond, Kevin and Hart, Emma and Johnson, Colin G, Martin S and others. MIC 2015: The XI Metaheuristics International Conference
2. The 'Composite' Pattern in Metaheuristics, J. Woodward, J. Swan, S. Martin. MetaDeeP 2014 Workshop @ GECCO 2014
3. Multi-agent based search for combinatorial optimisation S. Martin, D. Ouelhadj. 2013 CYTED-HAROSA International Workshop on Simulation-Optimization for Logistics & Production November 21-22, 2013 - UOC-Tibidabo, Barcelona, SPAIN
4. P. Smet, S. Martin, D. Ouelhadj, E. Özcan and G. Vanden Berghe, Investigation of Fairness Measures for Nurse Rostering, extended abstract, pp. 369-372, PATAT 2012.
5. S. P. Martin, D. Ouelhadj, P. Beullens and E. Özcan, Multi-agent cooperative search using meta-heuristics and reinforcement learning, 2011 OR53 Annual Conference, abstract.
6. S. Martin, D. Ouelhadj, P. Beullens, E. Özcan, A generic agent-based framework for cooperative hybrid meta-heuristic search, The EURO XXIV conference 2010.