Welcome to my home page...
I studied computer science at the HTWS Zittau/Goerlitz in Germany. After spending one year in the computer science department at Humboldt University in Berlin I joined the Communications Division in the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering at the University of Strathclyde in June 1997. In September 2000 I moved to the Department of Computing Science and Mathematics at Stirling University.
I am a member of the Modelling and Analysis of Complex Systems research group within the division. My research interests include Peer-to-Peer overlay networks, Home Automation, and IP Telephony. He was leading a project funded by Panasonic (USA) investigating efficiency gains in structured Peer-to-Peer overlays. I'm the academic supervisor in a Knowledge Transfer Partnership with Sysnet, a local SME, focusing on developing a Peer-to-Peer overlay for mobile handsets. I'm is also a Co-Investigator in the ESRC project Interlife where he is working on using Peer-to-Peer networks with 3D virtual worlds in an educational context.I'm is also a Co-Investigator in the MATCH project, focusing on integrating different network technologies for care in the home. He was leading an effort providing a proof-of-concept demonstrating the integration of digital pen and paper with networked appliances. I have been for extended research visits to Telcordia Technologies, NJ, USA, a leading presence in home automation, and Avaya Labs Research, NJ, USA, a leading internet telephony technology provider. I'm a Senior Member of the IEEE, and Series Editor for Consumer Communication and Networking of the IEEE Communications Magazine. I hold a PhD from the University of Strathclyde.
Results of my work have been published in major conference proceedings and international journals. Many of my papers are available online. Additionally, some presentations given at conferences are accessible also.
I am working on various aspects of Peer-to-Peer networks including efficient searches, multicast; novel aspects of Mobile phone applications as well as systems and services for consumer health care. If you are interested in doing a PhD in any of these fields, please get in touch.
- Series Editor, Consumer Communication and Networks, IEEE Communicatons Magazine.
- Member of the Editorial Board, Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications Journal, Springer.
- TPC Chair for IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, Las Vegas, USA, 2011.
- Special Sessions Chair for IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, Las Vegas, USA, 2009.
- Programme Committee Vice Chair for IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, Las Vegas, USA, 2008.
- Programme Committee member of IEEE Globecom 2007, General Symposium (P2P), Washington, DC, 2007.
- Programme Committee member of ADVCOMP 2007, The International Conference on Advanced Engineering Computing and Applications in Sciences, Papeete, French Polynesia (Tahiti), 2007.
- Programme Committee member ACM Mobility Conference 2007, Singapore.
- Programme Committee member of ICFI'07, The International Conference on Feature Interaction, Grenoble, France, 2007.
- Tutorial Chair and Programme Committee member of IEEE Consumer Communication and Networking Conference, Las Vegas, USA, 2007.
- Programme Committee member for 4th IEEE International Workshop on Mobile Peer-to-Peer Computing (MP2P'07), White Plains, NY, USA, 2007.
- Programme Committee member IEE Mobility Conference 2006, Singapore.
- Publications Chair and Programme Committee member of IEEE Consumer Communication and Networking Conference, Las Vegas, USA, 2006.
- Programme Committee member of ICFI'05, The International Conference on Feature Interaction, Leicester, UK, 2005.
- Organising Committee member of the Sixth International Workshop on Feature Interaction, Glasgow, UK, 2000.
- Reviewer for:
- IEEE Communications Magazine
- Elsevier Computer Networks Journal
- Elsevier Computer Communications Journal
- Elsevier Pervasive and Mobile Computing Journal
- Thomson Learning Publishers
- John Wiley & Sons Publishers
I am the course director for the MSc in Compting for Financial Markets, MSc in Advanced Computing, and MSc in Computing for Business.
In the Spring semester I am teaching telecommunications in CSC9YH. Further, I am teaching web scripting (mainly PHP and Javacsript) as part of CSC9W6, and ITNP70. I am also the coordinator for CSC9YH and ITNP70.
In the Autumn semester I am teaching CSC9YD. Further, I am teaching on processes, threads and concurrency as part of CSC9V7.